Antioxidants fight against free radicals which break down the essential collagen and elastin proteins in the skin. Fresh fruit and vegetables are natural sources of antioxidants. As a general rule, darker skinned fruits and vegetables have higher antioxidant content.
Top 5 line smoothing beauty foods:
- Berries – Acai berry is one of the richest sources of antioxidants. Mix acai juice in a blender with strawberries, blueberries and banana for a delicious smoothie. Add a mix of berries to your favourite breakfast cereal.
- Citrus fruits – oranges, grapefruit, kiwi fruit are all excellent sources of Vitamin C. Essential for the production of collagen.
- Tomatoes – one medium tomato provides 20% RDA of Vitamin A which plays an active role in the metabolism of skin cells. When cooked, tomatoes are an excellent source of lycopene, so add canned or fresh tomatoes to casserole dishes and pasta sauces.
- Garlic - Not only does it have strong anti-ageing properties, it's also a powerful antibacterial and antiviral agent.
- Leafy greens - high in Vitamins A, C and calcium and a good source of fibre, these are best eaten raw. Try spinach, swiss chard, rocket and mustard greens mixed in salads.