As with vitamins, there are certain minerals that are vital for maintaining good looks.
Top 5 firming foods:
- Calcium - a must for healthy skin and especially important for women after menopause in order to help prevent osteoporosis. Calcium is found in all dairy products, in green leafy vegetables, in wholegrains, and in certain fish, such as salmon and sardines.
- Selenium - helps to keep skin youthful and supple. It is found in eggs, onions, garlic, and tuna.
- Zinc – essential for skin health and for maintaining its elasticity. Oysters are the best source of zinc with the added advantage of allegedly having aphrodisiac qualities! Red meat and poultry are also good sources. Since a main source of zinc in the diet is animal protein, vegetarians need to ensure they eat plenty of beans, nuts, wholegrains and fortified cereals.
- Iron - promotes healthy red blood which is reflected in good skin colour. Iron is present in egg yolks, liver, red meat, green leafy vegetables, wholegrain products and fish.
- Silicon - a super skin smoother. Unrefined cereals as well as grains, apples, raisins, almonds and honey are all rich sources of this vital nutrient.